Are we still convinced that electric vehicles are the best way forward?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If it’s of value, some little bugger will steal it unfortunately. OK we’ve always had thefts of some sort ie lead and slates off the church roof etc, but it seems to be getting worse nowadays

Roscobbc

I'm reminded last year of a large extended 'new', perhaps 95% complete self-build property local to us where the owner/builder Julian died on-site before completion. The property sat for many months (and is still sitting empty) where the 'strippers' moved-in and ripped-out all the copper water and gas piping........but not turning the gas off! - local residents later reported the smell of gas in the street.......subsequently half the street was cordoned-off by the police, residents forced to leave their homes while a 'team' came-in to make the place safe.

phild

CCCUK Member
If it’s of value, some little bugger will steal it unfortunately. OK we’ve always had thefts of some sort ie lead and slates off the church roof etc, but it seems to be getting worse nowadays

Unfortunately the police seem unable/unwilling to do anything about this sort of thing, except maybe issue a crime number, and so thefts increase as the criminals know they can get away with it.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
If we're talking about people nicking stuff - I was at the West Somerset Railway recently speaking to some of the maintenance crews. They sadly often get people nicking copper and scrap metal etc. But of the funniest ones was where a thief had nicked a load of metal, and then just a few days later tried to sell it to a scrapyard just across the town from the WSR in Minehead..... who immediately recognised it as railway related and the thief was apprehended. Dopey thief stealing railway stuff and selling it in the same railway town :ROFLMAO:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Unfortunately the police seem unable/unwilling to do anything about this sort of thing, except maybe issue a crime number, and so thefts increase as the criminals know they can get away with it.
You are so right phil it`s sad to say . Much of the metal thieving is carried out by Pikies known to the Police but are too scared to do anything about it . :mad:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If we're talking about people nicking stuff - I was at the West Somerset Railway recently speaking to some of the maintenance crews. They sadly often get people nicking copper and scrap metal etc. But of the funniest ones was where a thief had nicked a load of metal, and then just a few days later tried to sell it to a scrapyard just across the town from the WSR in Minehead..... who immediately recognised it as railway related and the thief was apprehended. Dopey thief stealing railway stuff and selling it in the same railway town :ROFLMAO:
I doubt there is a Heritage Steam Railway in the land that hasn`t been hit my thieves . I was on the Severn Valley Railway for 31 years and we got done over several times . We had to spend money we could ill afford on enhanced security systems , steel barriers etc . to stave of theft and reduce insurance premiums . When it was my turn to be Duty Shed Master it was my final job of the shift to ensure the site was secure , all barriers locked and alarms set last thing at night . Then be first up in the morning to open up the Loco Shed and Workshops again .
The last 4 years I have spent on the Great Central Railway at Loughborough and the Loco Shed & Workshops have been raided too . Thieves have learned that heavy Phosphor Bronze and brass boiler fittings and valves are worth a fortune . Also the approximately 1 inch diameter by 5 inch long copper firebox stays are £50 each to buy and a large loco has approx. 1,500 of them . We buy them by the sack load and are a prime target . A lot of components are stored on site in rows of old shipping containers that have multi padlocks under tamper proof steel covers but thieves just angle grind through them !!!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
You know Chuffer, after the last 2 days (see my other post), when you say fancy buzz words like "stays" and stuff - I now understand it all :)

And yes, its horrid that heritage lines get hit like this. After having a small glimpse of seeing it all working, it makes me sad as to why someone would do that to a bunch of hardworking mostly volunteer people.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You know Chuffer, after the last 2 days (see my other post), when you say fancy buzz words like "stays" and stuff - I now understand it all :)
Just wait until I get on to Foundation Rings , Large and Small Ejectors , and Super Heater Headers . Not to mention Throat Plates , and Peticoats !! :LOL:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Just wait until I get on to Foundation Rings , Large and Small Ejectors , and Super Heater Headers . Not to mention Throat Plates , and Peticoats !! :LOL:
I now recognise a fair few of those words. Recognise I said.... my knowledge isn't that great after only two days :ROFLMAO:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I now recognise a fair few of those words. Recognise I said.... my knowledge isn't that great after only two days:ROFLMAO:
The next tutorial will be on return cranks , crossheads , expansion links , union links and compensation links . That`s when it begins to get complicated !! :LOL: