What have you done today ?

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Had no time to do owt with them but did take one of the post race models out for a pic. Incredible detail

Attachments

• 20240513_205627.jpg
    20240513_205627.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240513_205614.jpg
    20240513_205614.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 6

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
When I was young I too filled my bedroom with Airfix models - planes, cars, ships, the lot. When I moved out of the parents house, they shoved them up in their loft in boxes. When I got my first house, they gave them back to me. They sat in that houses' loft for ages. Moved house in 2020 and the models came with me, and again back in the loft. But this time I have a plan - they are going to be part of my model railway I'm creating. Yes, I know the planes are "just" the wrong scale (72 vs 76), and the ships are vastly too small for an OO gauge railway, but meh, I don't care. Its more a celebration of my youth as the model railway features all my trains from my youth, and some second hand ones including some donated to me from family that were their childhood trains.

Some of my Airfix planes might be a bit battered now, and you can tell the earliest ones I made from their "quality", but it'll all be displayed somewhere along my loft railway.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Over the last two days I did my best impression of Chuffer.
My ride:
20240516_113758.jpg

Cooking the bacon:
20240516_132404.jpg

My rides to and from the station, on different days (obviously):
Day 1:
20240515_090901.jpg

Day 2 (when I found out I could park in the staff carpark). Yes, its not the Corvette, and its not even the steam loco I was on (its Witherslack Hall), but it makes for a nice photo:
20240516_190535.jpg

Q&A:
1) Why on earth didn't you take the Corvette on day 2 so you could park it like that and get an amazing photo?
a) My neighbours would not have been pleased with a 6am Corvette startup. It also made a funny noise for a short while the day before, and I need to investigate before using it more.

2) Where was this?
a) Minehead at the West Somerset Railway.

3) Why haven't you given any more details?
a) I might be thinking of writing an article for Corvette News.

4) You could have at least cleaned those cars!
a) I live in the country. As in the real country, with tiny roads, tractors, the lot. Cars stay clean for as long as they drive off the driveway. You can't tell in the Corvette photo, but its really dirty.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Over the last two days I did my best impression of Chuffer.
My ride:
View attachment 26319

Cooking the bacon:
View attachment 26320

My rides to and from the station, on different days (obviously):
Day 1:
View attachment 26321

Day 2 (when I found out I could park in the staff carpark). Yes, its not the Corvette, and its not even the steam loco I was on (its Witherslack Hall), but it makes for a nice photo:
View attachment 26322

Q&A:
1) Why on earth didn't you take the Corvette on day 2 so you could park it like that and get an amazing photo?
a) My neighbours would not have been pleased with a 6am Corvette startup. It also made a funny noise for a short while the day before, and I need to investigate before using it more.

2) Where was this?
a) Minehead at the West Somerset Railway.

3) Why haven't you given any more details?
a) I might be thinking of writing an article for Corvette News.

4) You could have at least cleaned those cars!
a) I live the country. As in the real country, with tiny roads, tractors, the lot. Cars stay clean for as long as they drive off the driveway. You can't tell in the Corvette photo, but its really dirty.
Congratulations ` Skipper` , you finally did your footplate experience on the WSR , I just know you will have loved it on Odney Manor , the Manor Class are cracking locos . I bet the run up Crowcombe Bank was a blast and made the old girl cough a bit !! I have my very own Odney Manor on my layout !!
I hope they are taking care of Witherslack Hall as it is one of our locos on loan from the Great Central Railway where she is known as ``Slack Alice`. We had the boiler off last year for maintenance work then one of the paid staff lads did a complete repaint all on his own complete with hand painted lining out . That`s why it still looks in prestine condition .
DSCF3202.JPGDSCF3199.JPGDSCF3218.JPG

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yup, they deffo are looking after "Slack Alice". I saw her in steam at the gala and looked really good. Got a photo of her with Mayflower someone, and a video of her clearing out the drain cocks all over a bunch of photographers waiting at the platform with Mayflower - me included :ROFLMAO:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yup, they deffo are looking after "Slack Alice". I saw her in steam at the gala and looked really good. Got a photo of her with Mayflower someone, and a video of her clearing out the drain cocks all over a bunch of photographers waiting at the platform with Mayflower - me included :ROFLMAO:
Catches the photters out every time when do depart with the drain cocks open . Us drivers love that but as you probably learned on your sessions it an absolute must to clear any condensed steam from the cylinders or you will do serious damage .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Forgot to say Captain , there is one vital peace of equipment missing from the cab in your photo on the footplate . The Tea Can on the ` Mashing Tray ` :ROFLMAO:DSCF2765.JPG

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
After a couple of short trips recently it was crying out for a good ol' Italian Tune Up which it certainly got :devilish:

Had a meeting in Manchester today so dropped the alternator off this to get rebuilt at a tired looking shop (Middletons) and was served by a couple that had to be at least late 80's

20240517_175629_resized.jpg